Wednesday, November 12, 2008

For what it's worth

I can't believe it has already been a month since I wrote to my kids. I can't believe it's been over two weeks since I wrote here!

It is so easy in the bustle of life . . . school, work, bills, house, family, friends, church . . . to lose track of time. That's why I mark my letter-writing schedule in my day planner. I am not perfect, for sure, but like clockwork on the second week of every month I am reminded to write to my kiddos.

Those of you who also write can probably agree that sometimes it can be difficult. It can be hard to know what to say--you want your words to carry some weight, but certainly not to be preachy or assumptive. You aren't sure how much to share about your life--the joys of family, the fun adventures these kids might not get to experience. And you WISH they would write back! Wouldn't that make it easier?

But, because we know what it's worth, we write anyway. Because we know how devastatingly shy these kids can be, we write even when they don't write back. Because we know they desperately need someone, anyone, to love and encourage them, we write consistently.

It's really easy to do. All you need is the child's name and RU #--ask me if you'd like someone to write to. You can send an email to kirov@hopechest.org, or snail mail to HopeChest at P.O. Box 8627, Pueblo, CO, 81008-8627. They take care of the translating, and in a few weeks, a child knows you think of him or her. For us, it may be a few minutes and a few words. But for them, it's more than worth it!

2 comments:

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

I love writing to Andrey. It's one of the highlights of my month. And, yep - I'm a day planner marker, too :) I would be so so bummed if I missed a month.

Let's schedule dinner again!

cm

Sarah said...

Yes, please! I'll bake this time!
I'll email soon.