Saturday, January 10, 2009

The First Wish

So, with the new year we have Three Wishes for Sovietsk. The first is to have someone writing regular letters to each child at Sovietsk:

They are really happy when they receive letters from you.It would be very nice if you continue writing to them, and if possible to them all, as some of them are a bit envious that to some children come 3 or 4 letters in a month.

Caregiver Irina's words made us so happy--we are glad you are continuing to write, and we thank you so much! But we are sad to share that a number of kids, some new to the orphanage and some waiting a long time, are not receiving letters.
For example, Oksana, the first girl in the picture, was waiting over a year in our program before she began receiving letters. She now has a sponsor and some American friends who write to her. She is a very sweet girl who was quite shy when we met her, and I look forward to seeing her personality grow as she begins to understand just how special she is.

The other girls, Katya and Larisa, are sisters who are new to Sovietsk. When we visited last August, they were staying at a family home in Dolbiylova as a transition to the orphanange. Though the orphanage staff welcomed them warmly, I cannot imagine the challenge and disappointment of moving from family life to institutional life. These sweet girls do not have American pen pals, and I am hoping that will change soon.

Will you please consider committing to write regularly to one of our kids? Will you please share this opportunity with friends and family? It is free and easy. You could become a full sponsor, but the letters are most important. If you email me, I will be glad to answer any questions and get you started. When you choose a child, I will share with you his or her age, grade in school, hobbies and interests, and any special challenges he or she faces. We will give you guidelines and ideas for letter writing, and all you have to do is type a quick and heartfelt email. It means more to the kids than you can understand!

Take Tania, for example. We met her in August. She has graduated and left the orphanage, but she was back to visit for the holidays. (Galina is very generous, allowing the graduates to treat the orphanage as their home if they follow the rules.) I was so happy to hear from her! A major purpose of our programs is to keep the kids connected to people who care about them once they leave the orphanage and enter a very dangerous world. Thanks to Tania's sponsors and her relationships at Sovietsk, she is in a better place than many other graduates. She says:

I'm writing to you with great pleasure and in a very good mood. Now I'm studying in Novovyatsk. I like my studies. I am going to become a master of joinery and furniture work.
I like to make embroidery. I've made a lot of pictures already. I think you were told about my works when you visited us.
I can imagine your impression from visiting another country. I also want to visit some other country. I remember my visit to Kirov though I was only 7. We were taken to the local circus. It produced a great impression on me because I had seen wild animals for the first time.
I was also very happy to communicate with you. Everything was so interesting to me.
Good bye.
With love and tender hug,
Tatyana
*A special welcome to our new readers from the Kirov Yahoo group. We're glad you're here!

2 comments:

cara said...

Sarah - we can take on another pen pal! Just let us know and we will send a letter this month along with the one we usually send to our other pen pal. We can the 2 sisters if you want.
You choose who it is.

Sarah said...

Thank you so much! I have such a hard time choosing who you should write to . . . it's hard to say who needs it most. Some kids are graduating soon, so the time is short, others are new to the orphanage and need encouragement, others have been waiting for awhile, so it's hard to say. It's up to you! The 2 sisters are real sweethearts and are friends with Marina, who I think you are writing to . . .