Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

In our culture, today marks the beginning of Lent, the time for purging all that stands between us and what is good and for restoring all that is life-giving.

As we walk through the Lenten season, the children of Sovietsk will be close to our hearts. Together, we are walking among the rocks, seeking the joy of rebirth, of reconciliation, of new life, of new beginnings.

Ash Wednesday by T.S. Eliot is my deep-down favorite poem; you will have to indulge me as I share throughout the season. For now, the closing prayer:

Suffer us not to mock ourselves with falsehood
Teach us to care and not to care
Teach us to sit still
Even among these rocks,
Our peace in His will
And even among these rocks
Sister, mother
And spirit of the river, spirit of the sea
Suffer me not to be separated

And let my cry come unto Thee.

No comments: