Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Love One Another

Mandatum novum do vobis: ut diligatis invicem: sicut dilexi vos, ut et vos diligatis invicem.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another."

The "maundy" of Maundy Thursday comes from this moment in the Gospel of John when Jesus gives a mandate, a mandatum, that the disciples love each other. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he meant by extension that we're supposed to love everyone on the planet. This should be behind everything we do. We don't really have a choice--we're supposed to love each other. It's as simple as that. After all, what is the meaning of Jesus and Holy Week and Easter? Love and life win out over hate and death. That's cause to hope, I think. And that's just the sort of thing that we're trying to share with our friends at Sovietsk. It's good to know where to look in the times when I'm running low on things like faith, hope, and love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

now abides faith, hope and love. but the greatest of these is LOVE.
my favorite verse.
Love you,
Mom Clark