Sunday, August 23, 2009

Triple Update!

So, for the time, the blog has gone utilitarian. (All energies are going toward trip preparations!) Here are 3 updates:

Requisite Supply Update
Still hoping for 11 lipsticks/lip glosses, 35 bubble pipes (or a box of dixie cups and pack of straws to make our own), 28 small hand mirrors, face painting supplies, sugarless gum, stationary, $250 for school supplies, $150 for gardening equipment, funds for English lessons (see right), and LETTERS!

The supply drive has been so encouraging. Thanks to everyone who's contributing and to the kids of Bethlehem for writing tons of letters today!

Trip Plan Update
We have definite plans to visit some Tech schools where some of our graduates are attending. This is an excellent opportunity, both to open our eyes to the tech school experience and to build some long-term connections to be able to support the kids in the schools. We ask for prayers on this endeavor--opportunity awaits!

Update from the Discipler (who we will meet in September)
Dear Friends,

I don’t really want to worry you, but last time when I was in Sovietsk many of children there were ill. Most of them had high temperatures and running noses. Some of them were even in the hospital. But, the caregivers feel that everything will be alright very soon.

The life in the orphanage is in full swing. Every year in the spring they have “best of the Best” celebration where the students with the best grades and most achievements are honored.

Now the children and caregivers are occupied in the garden. They are planting vegetables, and also planting flowers in the flowerbeds. Each group arranges their flowerbed according to their own design. Even now, when they are only half done, they look very creative. I’m sure that when they finish the project, the director will choose the most beautiful. But this will be a very difficult task! The children told me about their visit in Yaransk on Victory Day. They liked the parade very much!

They also ask me whether Sarah and Ben are going to visit them this summer or not. They really hope to see you soon!

Summer is practically here. The children are looking forward for it. They are going to spend their summer in different camps, while some of them will be taken in the families in Dolbilovo. They are planning to go hiking throughout the summer, and of course all of them want to relax and recover from a somewhat difficult year.
From Ann Butorova

4 comments:

cara said...

I will drop off this week my 'stuff' we bought some stationary and I have envelopes and such to give you. I will drop it by your house when I out doing HVs :)

Sarah said...

Yay, thanks!!! Don't forget I work around the corner from my house--give me a call and maybe I can either meet you at the house or you can stop by work--I'll be there Mon, Tues PM, and Thurs this week. (Otherwise at The Villages, but Ben is home a few days a week.)

JEN said...

I got the face painting supplies from my mother-in-law over the weekend!!!!
(She is a professional clown...really)
;-)
jen

Sarah said...

Fun! Thanks to your m-i-l. :)