Sunday, September 27, 2009

Planting Trees


In Russia, they say there are three things necessary in order to be a man: build a house, raise a son, and plant a tree. I'm two-thirds of the way there.

During our visit, my dad, our interpreter Misha, and I had the opportunity to help some of the young fellows at the orphanage take a step toward becoming men.

Because of a carelessly discarded cigarette, the orphanage lost about a dozen trees along the perimeter of its property last year. We planted some trees to replace those damaged in the fire. During this process, I became acutely aware of how fortunate I was to have a man like my father teach me to be a man. These young guys at the orphanage aren't so lucky.

One boy in particular comes to mind. As Misha put it, "He hasn't learned to keep his word. He hasn't learned to be a man." He will graduate soon and have to set about life on his own. When I was his age I wasn't ready to be on my own; I couldn't imagine being in his shoes. But this is why Sarah and I are working so hard and partnering with our Russian counterparts to help all of the kids at Sovietsk Orphanage find their way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ben,
we're very proud of the man you've become and what you stand for.
love you,
Mom