Monday, May 17, 2010

Her Story

We have received an influx of letters in the last few weeks. There's nothing I love more! I love hearing how everyone is doing and knowing they are getting my letters. It's heartwarming to have a connection on the other side of the world--for me and for the children who write.

One of my friends writes to a lovely young woman who happens to be a very talented artist. Now we know she is a talented writer as well. She sent a letter that is quite unique. For children at the orphanage, letter-writing can be very challenging. Many of us struggle to find words to share with children we have never met on the other side of the world. Imagine how hard it must be for those children to write to adults, Americans, they have never met--especially after having experiences with adults that have been far less than positive. So when this lovely young woman (who has my favorite Russian name) shared her story and a piece of her heart, it moved me to tears.

I believe she will do well and be successful. I believe her future is bright. She has skills and tools her peers do not, thanks largely to her life before her time at the orphanage. But she has experienced loss beyond her years. My heart is with her.



Here is part of her letter.

I was born in Kirov. I lived with my mom and friends. I have lots of friends. I used to visit my aunt every summer when I was a small girl. I ran the house and worked hard there. We did many things together with my aunt: we prepared firewoods, made pickles, went in the forest to pick mushrooms and berries. So you see we didn't have a spare minute there. And the thing is that we managed to do everything in time.

But sometimes it happens that the life becomes darker than black. Now I live in the orphanage in Sovietsk. But still I want to return home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you posted this! I have the email in my inbox - never to be deleted. I cried when I read it and have every time since then. It is incredibly difficult to write to someone you have never met, but hoping that it brings a smile to their face makes it that much easier! Miss you!