Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Updates and letters

We have gotten a lot of letters recently with some updates on how the kids are doing. 

Our dear friend Lena writes:

"It's my final year st school. Of course, I have some problems with my studies. But I try my best and I hope that my marks will improve. This summer I went to economical summer camp. I got some new information, learned a lot and made friends with good people. On the 27th of October we had our orphanage birthday. Sarah and Ben, I wanted to tell you thank you for not forgetting us. I think the most important thing for any child is just to know that somebody cares for him.  We spent good time with Chad, Tom, and Ernest [some Americans who recently visited]. We went to church and all of us climbed upstairs and stood under the bell.  We went to the museum and made potato kebabs. We danced and played different games. It was much fun. But still we miss you very much!!!  (: When I finish school we won't see each other. ): But I'll hope for the best. I'm pleased that I have such friends.  I wish you happiness and love. I wish your boy to be healthy and strong.  I love you very much."

Lena is such a sweet girl and we will miss her very much.  We met her the first time we visited Sovietsk, so we've known her for quite a long time.  I wouldn't normally reprint the entire letter but she said so many great things about the value of sponsorship and writing letters.  It's easy to forget just how important it is to make a child feel special simply by writing a letter.

The last time we visited we met a young man named Nikita.  He is reserved and quite intelligent.

Nikita  recently wrote to us:

"I'm doing great. Orphanage is second home to me. I think I got accustomed to it. But maybe sometimes I doubt it.  I want to finish school and go to Musical Tech School.  I love music.  I like to be DJ. It's not easy here because we don't have special equipment... I also love electrical dances. I think it's very popular here in Russia.  Someday I would like to go abroad and visit your country. I heard a lot about it in school and also read about it on the Internet. But I can't picture it still... In summer I went to the economical camp. I liked people there. They were so creative and full of energy. I think this camp changed me. i started my self-perfection. Now you are a mother. i think your son will become a good man, as he has wonderful parents... I hope one day you would like to see our country under the white blanket of snow. But it's very frosty, so take warm clothes with you... I miss you my friends. Promise me you won't forget me."

We also recently received a letter from a young lady named Masha whom we've never met; she is new to the orphanage. 

She wrote to us: 

"I'm doing well. But I have problems with my studying. I can't understand chemistry [I can relate!] But I hope to cope with this problem. I try my best.  Sorry we haven't met. I'm sixteen. I made many friends in this orphanage. My favorite subject is math.  The most important things for me are my relatives and my friends. October 13, 2011 was a black day. It was the day of my mother's death. Every holiday I visit my grandparent. I'm glad that now you have a baby. We all miss you.  Hope to see you.  Good bye!"

Our heart goes out to Masha.  Sadly, her story is not uncommon.  We look forward to the opportunity to meet her in person someday.  All of these great kids would love to get letters from American friends.  Anyone interested in writing to our friends at Sovietsk Orphanage, just leave a comment and let us know.

This is a beautiful piece of handcrafted art made
by a sweet (if ornery) boy named Artur.

No comments: