Sunday, December 28, 2008

A New Discipler

Here is a letter from Ann, a new discipler at Sovietsk. Sponsorship funds allow people like Ann to share the children's lives and bring support and encouragement. We have not met her yet, but we've enjoyed reading about Sovietsk through her eyes.

Dear friends,

This is my first newsletter to you. In fact I’m a newcomer and I don’t know much but I hope that as the time passes by I’ll become more experienced. My first visit to Sovietsk was a week ago. I was really excited. First of all I was really fascinated by how cozy and homelike this orphan house was. The mistresses were very kind to me too. I think it is due to their inner qualities that this place has such a lovely atmosphere.

On the 5th of October we have a Teacher’s day, so our first meeting with children was devoted to this holiday. I told them some interesting facts from the history. They especially liked the story about teachers in ancient Greece, and then we spoke a bit about their own teachers. It was really amazing to admit how open-hearted these children are. I also made friends with new children. You know, there are 5 of them: Kate, Larisa, Kirill, Marie, Sveta and Maksim. After the lesson we just talked a little. The children eagerly shared their memories about the past summer. They told me that they rested in different camps, in different shifts; and some camps were in other towns, for example in Kirov and in Urzum. Most of all they liked to sing songs sitting by the fire. In Sovietsk they went camping on the bank of the river Vyatka. You know the nature is marvelous here especially in summertime when the trees are dressed in their green outfit and the blue skies are reflected in the streams of our a bit slow, but still powerful, river. Also they had a trip to Lejinskoe Lake in Pizanski district, they say it is very beautiful there; their eyes sparkled when they told me about it.

I also brought them a lot of letters. Some of them wrote back right away. The others promised to be ready with their letters next time.
I should say that my heart really stayed with those children. Thanks a lot for your help, your support, and your letters; the children really need them. They put the letters and the photos in their special albums and you really become a very important part of their lives.

Ann Butorova

No comments: