Monday, December 1, 2008

Wistful for the Future

It's Advent. It's the beginning of my favorite time of year.

It's just like whenever I hear the Overture from Messiah--I get so excited about what's coming next. The moment I hear the opening chords, I'm drawn in, simultaneously relishing each musical moment and anticipating the music to come.

(Messiah essentially fits the whole liturgical year into one setting, with beautifully expressive music and brilliantly chosen texts. I am pretty sure they sing Messiah in heaven.)

So, while my favorite time of year is Lent culminating in Easter Sunday, I love Advent. It signifies so much more to come. As Pastor Felde put it, during advent, we are "wistful for the future." We await the baby who comes to bring light, who lives a lifetime of human joy and pain, who brings ultimate triumph when darkness is defeated and Love wins.

Pastor mentioned that wistful is an odd word in discussing the future, as it often focuses on the past. But, during Advent and the holiday season, I feel it. I feel wistful for the coming joys of the holidays--seeing family and making memories.

I feel wistful for my kids at Sovietsk--for their futures, knowing this hopeful story is theirs and praying they can own it. Their pasts are burdensome, it's true. But there are so many beautiful possibilities in their futures, if they are able to find the right path. That's why we go.

Many times, their eyes for the future are clouded by debilitating pain, paralyzing self-doubt, and no true knowledge of how to find the way. They have trudged through valleys on confusing, winding, rough paths, young and alone. Their experiences tell them that darkness is inevitable, that they don't deserve joy, that they mean nothing. Those lies are so difficult to drown out--impossible if there is nothing else to hear.

But the story of hope brings the music of hope. Advent reminds us that out of darkness comes light. As in Isaiah, "Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill made low, the crooked straight, and the rough places plain." We're called to prepare the way for hope, to build a highway in the desert. The more caring people who bring comfort, encouragement, and guidance, the better chance these little ones have.

We often get asked "Why Russia?" So there's another answer.

Ben and I are wistful to see our children again. The good news is, it is almost time to plan our next trip! Stay posted, more information to come soon.

No comments: