Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

In Russia, they don't celebrate Mother's Day today--it's all wrapped into Women's Day in March. But on Mother's Day, I think of our children at Sovietsk, and of their mothers, and of the 4 million children worldwide who are without their mothers, and of their mothers, and of the children of all ages who miss their mothers, and of the mothers around the world who are longing for their children.

I also think of my mother, of the example of grace, wisdom, and courage she has given to me, and I am humbled and grateful to be her daughter. I think of my grandmothers, my great-grandmothers, my mother-in-law, my sisters-in-law, my aunts, my cousins, the grandmothers and foster mothers I work with, the orphanage caregivers, my friends who are mothers--young mothers, experienced mothers, mothers-to-be, and I am thankful for all of the women who give of themselves so that children can grow into strong, loving, and giving adults.

And, I think of the Sovietsk Supporters--some who are mothers of growing children, some with children who are grown, some who are soon-to-be mothers, some who are mothers at heart, some who are individuals with love to give--who give of themselves to nurture hurting children, and who expect nothing in return.

To each and every one of you, thank you for giving your heart. And Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

You have such an incredible Mother's heart, Sarah! Your mama must be so proud :)

cm

cara said...

you have such a way w/ words Sarah. Wonderful message on Mothers day.
hugs